St Brendan’s College has forged a distinguished reputation as an outstanding rugby league nursery, unrivalled by any other institution in Central Queensland.
The College has produced numerous Australian and Queensland State of Origin representatives along with a host of former and current NRL First-Graders. In 2018 St Brendan's College was proud to have its first NRL Head Coach, with the announcement of 1991 Senior Anthony Seibold as South Sydney Rabbitohs Coach.
In the last 15 years the College’s First XIII has featured in numerous State finals and won the Confraternity Shield, the premier Queensland Independent Schools Rugby League Carnival on nine occasions. St Brendan’s College also provides the Rockhampton and District Rugby League competition with 16 teams each year as every student is given the opportunity to play Rugby League at the level that they are best suited to.
Currently we have quite a number of former students playing in the NRL. These include: Matt Scott, Jake Granville, Ben Hunt, Kurt Mann, Corey Oates, Harry Grant and Jonus Pearson.
- Aaron Payne Cup/Cowboys Challenge – The top 8 Northern Rugby League teams play each other in a round-robin format in both the U/15 and U/18 age groups.
- Confraternity Shield – A fantastic week of Rugby League held during the June/July School Holidays. Approximately 48 teams take part in the carnival with St Brendan’s College being the most successful school in the history of the Shield having most recently won in 2014 & 2015.
- Inter-School competition – Throughout Term 3 Rugby League is offered to all students from Year 7 to Year 12, approximately 400 students take part each season.
- GIO Cup – the top 2 teams from the Aaron Payne Cup take part in the State semi-finals of this National Schoolboys Competition.
- Tour games – Throughout the year St Brendan’s College plays against schools from right across Queensland.
- Bi-Annual England Tour - Students in Year 8 & 9 are given the opportunity to tour and play against teams across England.
Rugby League Skills Series