St Brendan’s College has forged a distinguished reputation as an outstanding rugby league nursery, unrivaled by any other institution in Central Queensland.
The College has produced numerous Australian and Queensland State of Origin representatives along with a host of former and current NRL First-Graders.
Most recently in 2022 St Brendan’s won the Dolphins Cup and Dolphins Challenge, which crowned our Year 10 and 1st XIII teams champions of the Central Queensland division. Also of note is the fact that the College has won the Confraternity Shield, the premier Queensland independent schools rugby league carnival on 13 occasions. St Brendan’s College also provided the Rockhampton and District Rugby League competition with 23 teams in 2022 across all year levels, as every student is given the opportunity to play Rugby League.
There are a number of former students playing in the NRL including Harry Grant, Jake Granville, Ben Hunt, Kurt Mann, Corey Oates, and Elijah Anderson along with a number of former students in the NRL system.
- Dolphins Cup and Dolphins Challenge – The top 6 Central Queensland rugby league schools play each other in a round-robin format in both the Year 10 and open age groups.
- Confraternity Shield – A fantastic week of rugby league held during the June/July school holidays. Approximately 48 teams take part in the carnival with St Brendan’s College being the most successful school in the history of the Shield.
- Inter-School competition – Throughout Term 3 rugby league is offered to all students from Year 7 to Year 12, approximately 600 students take part each season.
- The top 2 teams from the Dolphins Cup/ Challenge and the Aaron Payne Cup/ Challenge take part in the state semi-finals of the national schoolboy's competition with the winners progressing to the state final.
- Tour games – Throughout the year St Brendan’s College plays against schools from right across Queensland.