The College Music Department participates in a significant range of local, regional and state music tours and events throughout the year to support the ongoing development of the students' skills and performance ability.
- The major event on the College music calendar is the Queensland Catholic Schools Music Festival (QCMF) in August. QCMF involvesr students from Years 7 to 12 with developed ensemble skills. It is deemed to be one of the pinnacles of the year for Catholic Schools across Queensland. The College regularly showcases our concert bands, jazz bands, woodwind and brass ensembles, guitar ensembles, contemporary ensembles (rock bands, folk bands, klezmer bands), drum lines and percussion ensembles. The event runs for five days in Brisbane and incorporates approximately 60 of our music students annually, with the College regularly bringing home gold, silver and bronze awards.
- Year 8 Music Tour - Year 8 Concert Band and Contemporary classes undertake an annual tour to Capricorn Coast schools, nursing home and respite centres.
- Year 9 & 10 Music Tour - Often the College organises a promotional tour across Central Queensland for Years 9 and 10, to take music to the schools and students in regional areas who may not normally experience music performances
- State Honours Ensemble Program (SHEP), Griffith University Young Conservatorium - The College participates every year in the SHEP program, where we nominate talented music students based on their skill set and experience. The Music Department selects students who we believe can benefit from the program, across concert band, string orchestra and choir.
- Regional Music Camps - often the College will participate in regional music camps to extend the learning and music experience of our students.
Community and College Events
- College Musical - Every year St Brendan's College and St Ursula's College join for a combined College Musical. The Music Department is an integral part of the College Musical Program, training the singers and providing the orchestra and music throughout. For more information about the College Musical please visit our Events page.
- Capricorn Coast Music Festival, coordinated by Yeppoon Rotary Club brings together all secondary schools on the Capricorn Coast for a wonderful event at St Brendan's College. Through the support of a regional arts grant Griffith University music composition students were commissioned to write songs for the event in 2017, with the closing number showcasing 180 students from local schools performing together. Each of the local secondary schools perform individually with their concert band, string orchestra, choir, jazz band and as a massed ensemble for the finale.
- ANZAC Day Commemorations - The College Concert Band students and Drum Line students provide music for the Yeppoon ANZAC march annually involving around 80 music students
- Pineapple Festival - Every year College music students participate in the Pineapple Parade with our Drum Line, and provide entertainment on the main stage, involving our rock bands entertaining the local community
- CQ Battle of the Bands - The College nominates two bands to participate and go head to head against bands from Central Queensland schools at the Pilbeam Theatre for a wonderful night of music and performance.
- Guitar Night - Guitar Night is the culmination of the year's learning and performance for our guitar students. Held in our College Performing Arts Centre it is a lovely night of music and celebration for parents and the community, featuring everything from classic country to jazz.
- The Music Department and our music students are often asked to perform and provide music at various school and community events, Masses and other occasions.