St Brendan’s College offers a wide range of Senior subjects, in order to satisfy the career pathways of young men
with different abilities and interests. Students entering Year 11 generally select subjects that align with one of three
A) Authority Subjects (OP)
- A combination of the traditional Authority Subjects (OP – Overall Position) can qualify students for tertiary
- All subjects contribute four points to the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- Consider the Authority Subjects (OP) if:
- You are interested in university study.
You require an OP for university placement.
- You enjoy the academic challenge associated with these subjects.
- It should be stressed that the traditional ‘OP’ academic course of study is not merely a continuation of Year
10. There is quite a substantial increase in subject matter difficulty and in the amount of time required for
homework and independent study. For students with aptitude in these subjects, the challenge is an exciting
and rewarding one.
B) Authority Registered (Non-OP) and Vocational Education & Training (VET) Subjects
- A combination of competency based Non-OP subjects and VET subjects are a good introduction to the skills,
attitudes and knowledge required by employment, TAFE and other courses of study.
- Courses contribute between two and seven points towards the QCE.
- Consider the Authority Registered (non OP) or VET or Certificate Courses if:
- You are interested in more practical or direct employment based avenues.
- Your past results suggest that some Authority Subjects may be too difficult.
- The content of a particular subject relates to future employment.
- Success in the subject will give you advanced standing (credit) in a higher level Vocational Education and
Training course in which you are interested.
- You require a Selection Rank for University or TAFE admission.
C) A blend of Authority Subjects, Authority Registered Subjects and VET Subjects.